Skip to main content

Being Single Through The Wait

Relationships. That word scares me. Not because of commitment or work or time, but because it's something foreign to me. I don't know what it's like to be committed and therefore I commit to anything. I always prayed about being the right girlfriend: being supportive and positive, strong, independent, healed. Being perfect.

Yesterday the truth finally hit me and I'm writing from a place of understanding, pain, but hope and newfound grace because I now understand, without a doubt, why a relationship is so foreign to me.

'Walk like a wife and your husband will find you'. That's an incredibly terrifying quote, because it reveals the fundamental underlying fact of relationships: getting married. And I realised that the biggest blessing I could ever have asked for was to be single thus far. Truth is, you shouldn't be looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend, but a husband or wife. And once you realise that, everything changes. You understand that love is more than a flutter when you see them. It's more than an infatuation with someone you don't know. Love is time. It's getting to know someone before jumping into the relationship status. It's knowing their life, their dreams and values, and seeing similarities in yours. It's messy-hair-in-the-morning looks because you're comfortable being yourself. It's showing your fears and scars without shame because after the tough conversations and tears, they are still there. It's texting about nothing just to hear their opinion. It's fearless honesty. It's easy. How do I know this? Look at a couple you know who have been together a long time. They have similarities. They enjoy the same things. They're dreams match up. And even though they are different people, they go together. That's how I know. Because love should never be difficult. Space shouldn't be an issue. Insecurities shouldn't be of weight. Love is friendship on fire. Not work. Not fear.

And that is what I'm waiting for. I'm not going to chase men down, I'm going wait, work on myself, and pray that the one who I end up with didn't fall in love with me at first sight, because that fades. That he didn't meet me in a dressy scene, because that isn't me. But that he met the real, broken, anxious, crazy, humorous, old fashioned, dreaming, adventurous me, chose to be my friend, and never left. Because that, reader, is love. And it'll be so worth the wait!

Carry yourself as if you are already taken. Be the person you want. Your match will find you, love you as you are, and make you realise why it never worked with anyone else. They might be closer than you think.

And, in case you're like me, I can promise you that you aren't the problem. If you've ever felt like a second choice, I guarantee that you are someone's first choice. The longer the wait, the better the outcome. Don't settle for someone who doesn't choose you first. Prepare yourself for the one that'll choose you over and over again, regardless.

Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Not Afraid

What is your biggest fear? The future? The unknown? People? Death? We all have fear. As someone living with anxiety disorder, fear is something I live with daily. It's like a monster crouched on your shoulder, waiting for his chance to ruin your life and dictate your thoughts. He's always there. He controls you, your thoughts and your actions. He keeps you awake at night, and keeps you in bed in the morning. He destroys your life...if you let him. Fear is not something to be afraid of. This might sound unusual, but I have a fear of being afraid. And if I'm not afraid of something, my mind finds something to fear. It's an endless cycle. But it's your choice whether to break that cycle. How many times did fear stop you from doing something? How many times did he whisper in your ear? I challenge you to choose not to listen. It's not easy! Being afraid is easy. But being brave is where you find your strength. It's ok to be anxious now and then, but what's

Turning self harm into self love

I have suffered many scars in the course of 7 years; mental scars, emotional scars, and physical scars. I see my scars and experiences as pieces of progress and character, but I didn't always feel this way. For a long time I tried to hide the pained side of me, and it's much easier to hide the invisible scars than the visible ones. The scars from my self harm are far more visible than my emotional scars. Today I want to encourage you by sharing how I turned my self harm into self love and learned to accept every part of myself, good or bad. Why do people self harm? This is different for everyone! I did it because it made me feel something. My disorders made me numb - my cuts made me feel. However, this feeling of 'feeling something' doesn't last. Self harm does more harm than good. The reasoning behind the self-inflicted pain is different for everyone, but I can guarantee that the results never live up to expectation! After time, they just add more pain and sham

Words

You're ugly. You're worthless. Why are you even alive? You mean nothing and never will. Don't even try because you'll fail. You'll never be happy. No one will ever love you... I have heard these words more than I can count. When I was 13 I started experiencing intense bullying, both physical and verbal. To be told these things every day, no matter how hard you try, you start to believe them. No one ever told me any different, so what was I, as a young teenager, to believe? I started to hate myself. I mean HATE myself. I fully believed that I would never accomplish anything and that my life was a mistake. To be honest, sometimes I still do. Words are incredibly, ferociously powerful! They have the power to build or destroy you. And it is so true and so sad that you are more likely to believe what others tell you then what you tell yourself. In 11th grade I decided something had to change. I couldn't live hating life, and I wanted to prove those people wrong. Lo