Skip to main content

Change



I stared down the barrel of change in the past few days, the philosophy that by changing yourself, your lifestyle and your patterns that you somehow become a better person. You keep your insecurities to yourself, re-plaster the emotional walls that you have built, and let go of people who bring you down. Change is inevitable, it’s part of life, but Is change good? Does changing yourself change your situation, your acceptance by society, your health?

There are countless articles and quotes stating: Do not change yourself for anyone. Society has us in an invisible room, a comfortable room. A room which makes us feel safe and grounded, taken care of and accepted, even if the foundation of this room is built on insecurities, comparison and unreachable standards. Stay as you are, they tell us, then bombard us with appearance issues, weight control images and mental health stigmas. All of the above, including a recent self-loathing, has led me to think: What if change yourself isn’t a bad idea? 

As someone with mental health issues and patterns of my own, I know full well that hiding and covering these issues is easier said than done, much like covering up your weight, scars, or other insecurities. It is virtually impossible to approach any situation normally, for me. My Anxiety Disorder tells me: No one will accept you; my Clinical Depression says: Who cares if no one likes you, you’re better off alone; and society screams: If no one likes you there’s something wrong with you. Tell me then, how does the word CHANGE not cross one’s mind? How do you walk through your day confidently knowing that your imperfections stare everyone in the face…The answer: You most likely don’t, because you believe what you tell yourself. You believe your insecurities. So what if you start telling yourself that you aren’t alone, that you are good enough, and that your insecurities and lack of confidence can change.

Change…I disagree with the statement: Do not change yourself for anyone. It’s flawed. Because the one person I want to impress, please and feel confident for, is myself, and I’ll be damned if anyone tells me I cannot change for myself. Consider this: your bad attitude and negativity, your unhealthy eating patterns, your mental confusion and dependence…whatever it may be that controls your life, you can change it! Now, I am NOT saying that you need to lose weight, change your physical appearance etc. Everyone is beautiful, strong and worth loving. No one is a mistake and everyone is good enough, strong and powerful. What I am saying, is that by changing the inward things about yourself that bring you down, your outward confidence changes. Instead of breaking yourself down, build yourself up. Instead of binge eating snacks, pick up a fruit. Instead of dealing with your anxieties, sorrows or problems alone, send a friend a message. By changing what we can control in order to better ourselves, our mood changes, our friendships change, our minds change, and we can then see our worthiness, power and beauty for ourselves.

Change is not all bad. BUT there is a step too far. Never change yourself out of spite, or guilt. Never change your style, your interests or your personality to suit others. Rather, think of it as growing yourself. Evolve your interests and become more skilled. Improve your negativity and become more strong-willed and joyful. Talk about your problems and become less ashamed and hidden away. So in the upcoming months, I challenge you to join me in becoming the best you, not for anyone else, but for yourself. Change is the ultimate form of self-sacrifice, but also self-improvement. Below are the points I am personally working on. If anyone wants to walk any of the below changes with me, slide into my DM’s :P. No one should hide their life or personal goals or walk them alone. Accountability is step 1 to success.



-        Honesty

-        Weight loss (This is a personal choice, and by no means reflects any thoughts that I believe any weight is superior to another. It is about personal comfort and confidence, not looks or superiority)

-        Positivity

-        Self and body care

-        Fitness

-        Depressive honesty and overcoming

-        Spontaneity

-        Joyfulness

-        Confidence

-        Goal setting

-        Inner peace



I hope that in 2019 the stigma of self-change and improvement vanishes and is replaced by a communal coming together of individuals proud to help and support one another, REGRDLESS OF THE PROBLEM OR PERSONAL GOAL. Change is inevitable, yes, but not always uncontrollable. Make 2019 the year of you, and becoming the person you deserve. Remember, you attract what you give off, so radiate positivity, confidence and motivation.

Stay as beautiful as you are and kick the stigmas in 2019

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning self harm into self love

I have suffered many scars in the course of 7 years; mental scars, emotional scars, and physical scars. I see my scars and experiences as pieces of progress and character, but I didn't always feel this way. For a long time I tried to hide the pained side of me, and it's much easier to hide the invisible scars than the visible ones. The scars from my self harm are far more visible than my emotional scars. Today I want to encourage you by sharing how I turned my self harm into self love and learned to accept every part of myself, good or bad. Why do people self harm? This is different for everyone! I did it because it made me feel something. My disorders made me numb - my cuts made me feel. However, this feeling of 'feeling something' doesn't last. Self harm does more harm than good. The reasoning behind the self-inflicted pain is different for everyone, but I can guarantee that the results never live up to expectation! After time, they just add more pain and sham

Words

You're ugly. You're worthless. Why are you even alive? You mean nothing and never will. Don't even try because you'll fail. You'll never be happy. No one will ever love you... I have heard these words more than I can count. When I was 13 I started experiencing intense bullying, both physical and verbal. To be told these things every day, no matter how hard you try, you start to believe them. No one ever told me any different, so what was I, as a young teenager, to believe? I started to hate myself. I mean HATE myself. I fully believed that I would never accomplish anything and that my life was a mistake. To be honest, sometimes I still do. Words are incredibly, ferociously powerful! They have the power to build or destroy you. And it is so true and so sad that you are more likely to believe what others tell you then what you tell yourself. In 11th grade I decided something had to change. I couldn't live hating life, and I wanted to prove those people wrong. Lo

Just Be

Everyday I wake up, I have a routine. I drag myself to the kettle to make coffee, get back into bed and go on social media for a while, before actually looking in the mirror for the first time. Who else gets a fright? I mean, frizzy hair, makeup smudges and eye-bags aren't the most attractive features. It takes me about an hour to make myself appear presentable, before I head out for the day. This routine includes makeup, a ghd, changing my outfit multiple times and 'bathing' in perfume and spray on. I'm sure you have a routine too. But have you ever wanted to just...Be? No worries about how you look? No makeup, no hours of preparation. Just simply being. Life is stressful and it's easy to lose ourselves to routine. It gets so bad that we cannot leave our houses without at least an hour's notice, so that we can splash on products which we wash off at night. Does it really make sense? Today's post is not so much of a message as a challenge. I challenge you