Skip to main content

Understanding Social Anxiety

When I say that I'm anxious all the time, that's an understatement. I don't think I'm ever actually relaxed or subdued in thought. See, everything that makes other people happy or excited, scares the living crap out of me. I don't think social anxiety is a very understood disorder, and the stigma around it is terrifying. Statistics show that 1 in 8 people suffer from this disorder and no one will ever actually know. Some hide it incredibly well; some, like me, don't. I want to share 4 facts about this disorder that will hopefully help some understand, and remind others that they are not alone!

1. I am not shy
Contrary to what all my 'friends', family and fellow students think, I am not shy. In fact, if you actually get to know me, I will not shut up in conversation! I am very spontaneous, loud and child-like...if you let me be. The problem is that it takes me up to a year to make a friend close enough to be myself around. Sometimes, with some people, I actually never get to that stage.

It's not that people with social anxiety hate people. Actually, statistically, we are more compassionate, caring and accepting than most. We love people. We just don't know if they love us. Before I speak, I go over the conversation in my head: Will it be acceptable to say this? Am I being rude? Will they judge me? Maybe I should just keep quiet...

We will never go to people for conversation first, not because we are necessarily shy, but because the thought of rejection is more powerful to us than the thought of making a friend. So please, I am not shy! Just afraid.

2. My phone is my worst enemy
My friends always laugh because I cannot answer a phone call. As in, AT ALL! If I answer your phone call, you should feel very privileged because it never happens. I cannot phone anyone else either. To be completely honest, I don't really know why. Just the thought of answering a call pushes up my heart rate. For a long time this amused me...but I am no longer laughing. So please don't hate us for not answering your call; chances are we are staring at the phone praying for you to rather send a text.

3. I am lonely
With social anxiety, unfortunately, comes a lack of friends. I read recently that confidence attracts people and it is the fundamental ingredient to a good friendship. If this is the case then the fact that I have the 2 friends I do is a miracle. And that 2 isn't me being exaggerative or piney, it's just fact. Out of the many Facebook friends and Instagram followers (which compared to others is actually a sad amount) that I have, of all my contacts and groups on WhatsApp, the number of people I can contact NOW for coffee....I actually don't think there is anyone.

I don't get invited places, and as a result I don't invite people places. I know all of the above is partially my fault, but I am terrified of contacting people because what if they say NO.

4. I. Hate. Parties
I don't think I am antisocial or a downer when it comes to parties. in fact, I love a good get-together with close friends. The problem comes when there are people I don't know. You have to understand, I probably wont ever get to know your best friend from Joburg who you love more than me because she is an extrovert and loves parties....see how our minds work?  This jealous cycle starts and we make it a huge deal, declaring to ourselves that we automatically dislike anyone who is prettier than us, has travelled more, has more money or is more confident.

Jealousy comes with this anxiety because I think, more than anything, we want to be accepted, confident and truly ourselves. Which isn't always easy. Actually, it's never easy.
So please don't hate us or judge us for being afraid, drawn away or quiet. We truly cannot help it.


There are so so many more things I can say, but then it'll be a book. For those suffering social anxiety, you are not alone! and I promise, your are more loved and accepted than you think. It's a fact that socially anxious people are seen more positively by people than they think! So hang in there..
For those not going through this, please be patient with us. Understand that we love you, and care about friendships with all our being. Sometimes though, its just difficult to be ourselves. But I can guarantee that we are some of the best people you will ever meet.

I hope that through honesty, vulnerability and unity we can break the sad stigma surrounding those with social anxiety. Help me, us, by accepting without judgment and loving without conditions...because that's what we do...

Be yourself! I am challenging myself here too!
Stay strong

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Not Afraid

What is your biggest fear? The future? The unknown? People? Death? We all have fear. As someone living with anxiety disorder, fear is something I live with daily. It's like a monster crouched on your shoulder, waiting for his chance to ruin your life and dictate your thoughts. He's always there. He controls you, your thoughts and your actions. He keeps you awake at night, and keeps you in bed in the morning. He destroys your life...if you let him. Fear is not something to be afraid of. This might sound unusual, but I have a fear of being afraid. And if I'm not afraid of something, my mind finds something to fear. It's an endless cycle. But it's your choice whether to break that cycle. How many times did fear stop you from doing something? How many times did he whisper in your ear? I challenge you to choose not to listen. It's not easy! Being afraid is easy. But being brave is where you find your strength. It's ok to be anxious now and then, but what's

Turning self harm into self love

I have suffered many scars in the course of 7 years; mental scars, emotional scars, and physical scars. I see my scars and experiences as pieces of progress and character, but I didn't always feel this way. For a long time I tried to hide the pained side of me, and it's much easier to hide the invisible scars than the visible ones. The scars from my self harm are far more visible than my emotional scars. Today I want to encourage you by sharing how I turned my self harm into self love and learned to accept every part of myself, good or bad. Why do people self harm? This is different for everyone! I did it because it made me feel something. My disorders made me numb - my cuts made me feel. However, this feeling of 'feeling something' doesn't last. Self harm does more harm than good. The reasoning behind the self-inflicted pain is different for everyone, but I can guarantee that the results never live up to expectation! After time, they just add more pain and sham

Words

You're ugly. You're worthless. Why are you even alive? You mean nothing and never will. Don't even try because you'll fail. You'll never be happy. No one will ever love you... I have heard these words more than I can count. When I was 13 I started experiencing intense bullying, both physical and verbal. To be told these things every day, no matter how hard you try, you start to believe them. No one ever told me any different, so what was I, as a young teenager, to believe? I started to hate myself. I mean HATE myself. I fully believed that I would never accomplish anything and that my life was a mistake. To be honest, sometimes I still do. Words are incredibly, ferociously powerful! They have the power to build or destroy you. And it is so true and so sad that you are more likely to believe what others tell you then what you tell yourself. In 11th grade I decided something had to change. I couldn't live hating life, and I wanted to prove those people wrong. Lo