Skip to main content

Prove Them Wrong

I was always academically inclined at school rather than sporty or popular. Of course, that put an instant target on my back. People mocked me, shunned me and refused to be seen with me. It felt horrible. The worst part was, though, that people looked down on my dream. See, from a young age I was incredibly ambitious. I knew I wasn't going to be an employee, but a boss. So I started working for it. But if you constantly hear that you will never achieve your dreams, you start believing it.

My marks started to drop drastically in grades 9 to 11. Granted, I wasn't failing, but I wasn't achieving what I knew I could because I simply believed there to be no point to achieve. I had given up on my ambition. Things started to change in my Matric year. I got my tenacity back. The only explanation I have for this change is prayer and a God who never gave up on me, even when I gave up on myself. I ended up matriculating top of my class, and to be honest I still can't believe it.

That was a huge turning point in my life. I set out on a mission to prove everyone who told me I couldn't, wrong. I would succeed at any cost. I was accepted into a varsity course which I love and am excelling in, and working alongside one of the top architects in the Eastern Cape, learning more than I could ever have dreamed!

So, what's the secret? How do you achieve all you've set out to do? Well, the secret is you. It's a choice to never give up or settle for mediocrity. It's believing in yourself and your capabilities. And it's trusting God and walking alongside Him in your journey.
No, it won't always be easy, but the most difficult things in life are the ones worth doing. And failure is part of the journey. Whether you let it get you down is up to you. It's OK to try and fail, but never to fail to try (cheesy, I know, but true). So to all those people who tell you you can't, show them you can. Prove them wrong. The best revenge is success with a smile. Never underestimate yourself and never give up on your dreams. Do not give them the satisfaction of your defeat, but rather the dissatisfaction of your victory. Make them wish they believed in you from the start!

Keep your head up. And to all those people who told me I couldn't, you underestimated the wrong person! Now you can sit back and watch me succeed...

Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Not Afraid

What is your biggest fear? The future? The unknown? People? Death? We all have fear. As someone living with anxiety disorder, fear is something I live with daily. It's like a monster crouched on your shoulder, waiting for his chance to ruin your life and dictate your thoughts. He's always there. He controls you, your thoughts and your actions. He keeps you awake at night, and keeps you in bed in the morning. He destroys your life...if you let him. Fear is not something to be afraid of. This might sound unusual, but I have a fear of being afraid. And if I'm not afraid of something, my mind finds something to fear. It's an endless cycle. But it's your choice whether to break that cycle. How many times did fear stop you from doing something? How many times did he whisper in your ear? I challenge you to choose not to listen. It's not easy! Being afraid is easy. But being brave is where you find your strength. It's ok to be anxious now and then, but what's

Turning self harm into self love

I have suffered many scars in the course of 7 years; mental scars, emotional scars, and physical scars. I see my scars and experiences as pieces of progress and character, but I didn't always feel this way. For a long time I tried to hide the pained side of me, and it's much easier to hide the invisible scars than the visible ones. The scars from my self harm are far more visible than my emotional scars. Today I want to encourage you by sharing how I turned my self harm into self love and learned to accept every part of myself, good or bad. Why do people self harm? This is different for everyone! I did it because it made me feel something. My disorders made me numb - my cuts made me feel. However, this feeling of 'feeling something' doesn't last. Self harm does more harm than good. The reasoning behind the self-inflicted pain is different for everyone, but I can guarantee that the results never live up to expectation! After time, they just add more pain and sham

My Battle

I am not here to hide. In fact, I'm done hiding. It's exhausting. I am here to be honest, to be sincere, and to be a voice. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety. It felt like I was drowning, like everything and everyone was against me...that I wasn't good enough to even live or breathe. I didn't have the strength. If it wasn't for Jesus, the only strength and hope I had left, I would not be here today. He was, is, and always will be my light. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Dermatophagia. It is not a well known disorder, although many people suffer from it. At first I was ashamed, I felt that I had to hide and fear myself. Like I was a monster.. But I'm not. I'm not perfect, but that's ok. I may be on the road to recovery, and there are days that I feel like all hope is lost, but I am strong. I'm a fighter. Everyone is. There is a warrior inside everyone, no matter your gender, age, circumstances or mental or physi